For some reasons (freeing up HDD space, changing the computer or archiving) you might want to back up your PA job and use it sometime later.
Restoring PA job from backup is another story and described in another article.
If you have running PA, then the best way to backup the job using PA:
- Run PA
- Open the project you’d like to backup
- Open any InDesign document of the job
- Go to Menu > Help > Create Debug Backup
- Add documents to your backup
- Use Ctrl or Shift to choose multiple files. Pressing Ctrl+A selects all files of the job.
- Make your choice about pictures included in the backup
- Add other files to the backup. It might be printed PDF, screenshots, instructions etc. You do not need to include fonts manually. PA takes care about fonts used in job. Just make sure that the fonts you used are not rented and the fonts files can be copied
- Select a folder and a name for the backup
- Press OK and wait (it might take some time) for confirmation message
If for some reason you can not run PA on your computer then in order to backup the job you need to copy two things:
- Job folder. For PA5 and earlier versions you can find it C:/My Paratext Projects/<Project Name>/InDesign/<Job Name>/
- Fonts used in the job. The best way to do this is to use Package Book for Print feature of InDesign. It will copy InDesign file, linked imaged and, most important, fonts to the selected folder.
Open you job (.indb file) in InDesign, select all documents, go to book menu and select Package Book for Print
Restoring the job backed up this way is more tricky.
PA 6.1 got a new helpful feature that allow typesetter to backup jobs easily — Copy Job… It will create full copy of the job and let one experiment with almost completed job without being afraid to break it and redo it from scratch if something goes wrong.
- Open you PA job.
- Go to Menu > File > Copy Job…
- Select the project, PA job and copied job name
Please backup your PA jobs regularly.